As a child, Tennessee Williams visited this Italianate mansion (1916-17), a Mississippi Landmark. The mistress of the house, Blanche Cutrer, provided the name if not inspiration for his most famous protagonist, Blanche Dubois.
In the second half of the Twentieth Century, the house was St. Elizabeth’s school, and a campus including a classroom wing (with a lunchroom and a library) and a gymnasium (with auditorium) grew up on the grounds. In the late 1990s, the school’s growth threatened the survival of the house. Local community activists and Delta State alumni worked to buy the property which is being redeveloped to house a satellite campus operated jointly by Delta State University and the local Coahoma Community College.