Howorth & Associates Architects was called in on July 25, 2006, to examine the partial collapse of the Thompson House, a three-story 1870 building. The owner then engaged our team in November 2006 to reconstruct the building. The project is phased and includes permmanent shoring of surrounding areas of the remaining building, demolition of the compromised portions of the building, and construction of 14,000 square feet three-story structure with a basement. The program integrates mixed uses with retail/restaurant in the basement and on the first floor and a residence on the north side of the third floor.
The new, privately funded facility will be structurally independent of the existing building, but will link the two structures seamlessly. The new facility complies with current codes including new vertical circulation, an elevator and a sprinkler system. The facade of the Thompson House portion of the project complies with the Mississippi Department of Archives and History.
Damaged portions of the building have been removed and reconstruction is now in process with completion anticipated in summer of 2009.